Greenhouse Sports aims to develop Social, Thinking, Emotional and Physical skills for young people in London’s most disadvantaged communities through outstanding, intensive sports programmes delivered by inspirational coaches.
How you can help
You will work alongside one of our Head Coaches to help provide extra support to the young people on our programme. As a volunteer you’ll have the opportunity to be the person who makes basketball enjoyable and accessible for these young people.
Your role may include the following but you will have the chance to discuss with your Head Coach your exact role so that the role is suited to you:
- Work with your coach to plan each session and your contribution to it
- Help individuals or small groups master the skills or activities being taught
- Provide encouragement and motivation for the players and celebrate their achievements; to boost their confidence in themselves and basketball
- Ensure their safety and wellbeing by following Greenhouse Health and Safety and Child Protection procedures
- Organise and deliver skill specific drills
- Take statistics during practices & games
- Support with marking the attendance register
- Take responsibility for balls and other equipment during practices and games
Is this role right for you?
We are looking for confident, enthusiastic and reliable volunteers who are able to make a regular commitment to the programme. A range of skills are welcomed.
What support will you receive?
- All volunteers will need to attend Greenhouse Sports compulsory training sessions in Safeguarding and Child Protection and Emergency First Aid.
- You’ll receive ongoing support and feedback from the Head Coach at your programme as well as the Programme Administrator.
- For committed volunteers there is the possibility of further training opportunities specifically related to their role.
When and where?
You will be based at our Basketball Programme in one of our schools in London. The exact time and place of your volunteering will be agreed with your Head Coach.
Checks and references
In line with standard practice across the UK, volunteers who wish to volunteer with our young people will need to have a DBS certificate issued before volunteering with us. This is just one of a number of checks we carry out on our volunteers to ensure the safety of our young people. Having a criminal conviction is not necessarily a barrier to volunteering with Greenhouse, please contact us to discuss in confidence.
Think you could help? We’d love to hear from you!
Please contact [email protected] for more information and to receive an application form for the role.