Coach Core 1 graduates
The Coach Core programme is a mixture of nationally accredited qualifications and work placements which gives a unique experience for young people to gain the skills, experience and confidence to be the next generation of inspirational coaches. Our first intake of apprentices took part in the Coach Core 1 programme and graduated at a ceremony in St James’s Palace in January 2015.
When did the Coach Core 1 programme start?
Greenhouse piloted the first Coach Core programme in September 2012 with an initial voluntary period of 3 months which was followed by the paid Apprenticeship starting in January 2013 and completing in February 2014.
What qualifications have the Coach Core 1 graduates achieved?
- Level 2 Activity Leadership NVQ
- Level Certificates in Principles and Preparation for Coaching Sport
- Level Certificate in Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Functional Skills qualifications in English and Maths
- NGB coaching awards up to Level 2
- Equity in your coaching
- Emergency Aid at Work
- Active Ambitions Guide to Mentoring
- Sports Coach UK certificate in Safeguarding and Child Protection
Their progress was record on an innovative electronic portfolio developed by Create Development called the Wheel. Here Apprentices could upload evidence such as video, audio recordings, pictures and documents to show and reflect their pathway to becoming successful coaches.
Was the Coach Core 1 programme successful?
Since completing their qualifications, 13 of the initial 20 Apprentices have registered to be volunteers at Greenhouse, three of them are going to coach in America being part of the Challenger Sports programme and one of them joining the Greenhouse communications team as a volunteer.